Re: Oracle 9.2.0.5 "10046" Tracing Causes Server Crash on Windows 2000?

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:10:07 +0300

> Queries will automatically go in parallel if you have partitioned tables
and
> your queries don't use the partition key unless you use a global index. I

Where does this information come from? When all tables/indexes *accessed* by a query are NOPARALLEL, then the query is executed serially by default. (I emphasized "accessed" since there are cases like table having parallel degree, but an index on it doesn't then if the query can be satisfied by reading only for index, table's degree is ignored and indexes one is used).

Btw, alternatively you may want to "alter session disable parallel query" (or parallel dml) for your sessions to set the default to noparallel.

Tanel.