RE: [Fwd: RE:]

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:59:17 -0400

One reason to have this feature is that it would allow the use of rman to perform the recovery. A second reason for sites that perform both hot and cold backup it allows them to do so using the same utility to perform both backup types.

While the feature is not necessary to sites that only employ hot backups and plan on always running a forward recovery, sites with the luxury of being able to make a cold backup may well find the feature useful. The feature might also be useful to make the database backup usually taken immediately before a upgrade/migration.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

From: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com [mailto:jtesta_at_dmc-it.com] Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 2:33 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: [Fwd: RE:]

Tom it still points back to being able to backup a level 0 once a month and do just incrementals the rest of the time(like once a week). for our case 3 terabyte DW, we expect long down time at end of month but relatively short down times every other weekend since we do incrementals.

my 2 cents worth.

joe

original message below

 Dennis,

 I don't see why Oracle even provides this type of backup (database in mount-only mode using Rman). To me, if I was considering this, I would just shut the database down and perform a cold backup. Using Rman in this situation is a waste of time (unless someone can give me a good reason why it is useful).

 Rman's biggest strength is point in time recovery, and that the db is up and available all the time.

 Anything else just seems like a waste to me - no practicality to it.

 From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of jtesta_at_dmc-it.com  Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 11:54 AM
 To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org