[Fwd: RE:]

From: <jtesta_at_dmc-it.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:33:24 -0400 (EDT)

Tom it still points back to being able to backup a level 0 once a month and do just incrementals the rest of the time(like once a week). for our case 3 terabyte DW, we expect long down time at end of month but relatively short down times every other weekend since we do incrementals.

my 2 cents worth.

joe

original message below

 Dennis,

 I don't see why Oracle even provides this type of backup (database in  mount-only mode using Rman). To me, if I was considering this, I  would just shut the database down and perform a cold backup. Using  Rman in this situation is a waste of time (unless someone can give me  a good reason why it is useful).

 Rman's biggest strength is point in time recovery, and that the db is  up and available all the time.

 Anything else just seems like a waste to me - no practicality to it.

 Tom Mercadante
 Oracle Certified Professional

 From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
 [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of jtesta_at_dmc-it.com  Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 11:54 AM
 To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org