RE: 10g - ASM Rant

From: Koivu, Lisa <Lisa.Koivu_at_Cendant-TRG.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:31:34 -0400

Hi Raj,=20

Well, at this point I'm about to discount ASM completely on Windows for now. After the wipe and reinstall, I tried creating another ASM instance through dbca. It now doesn't like my create diskgroup statement. It can't discover any candidate disks. My impression is that I should be able to make a directory available to ASM to discover and use - I have one disk on this server, it has the oracle software and databases on it. I wonder if that's what it doesn't like. Or maybe the fact that it's one Raid 5 device (even with external redundancy stated).

The dbca added local_listener in the parm file. I thought it was a necessary evil. It's not.=20

I can officially say this now. I absolutely LOATHE Windows. All the documentation and white papers are on *nix and they don't necessarily translate to Windows. It all looks so easy, so pretty... NOT

And, believe it or not, the data warehouse I work on is going to be reformatted to be Raid 5 instead of Raid 10 not only for additional storage, but at a recommendation coming from Oracle. Seems that Windows can't generate writes fast enough to blow the 5GB San cache, even if it's Raid 5. I'm done arguing. I want to be a daycare teacher or a garbage collector. I have nearly had it with this job.=20

Someone hand me a dirty martini. I need it. Lisa

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Koivu, Lisa Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 3:10 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

No, unfortunately I am on Windows.=3D3D20

I ended up wiping the machine and reinstalling. I'm going to start from scratch. This has turned into a holy mess.=3D3D20

Thanks everyone. =3D3D20

"The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of = any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This = message and its attachments could have been infected during = transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the = recipient accepts full responsibility for taking proactive and remedial = action about viruses and other defects. The sender's business entity is = not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message = or its attachments."