RE: Tape backup solutions

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:38:35 -0400

> I am considering a Dell Powervault tape library with 1 LTO-2
> drive and 24 ....

> Does anyone have this library (or a library from this series)?
> If yes can you share your experiences (good or bad)?

Hi Ken,

I have Dell's PV132T library with 2 LTO units, also connected to Win2K box via SCSI channel, Veritas NetBackup, etc. Works like a charm, pushing its second year now.

Depending on how much data you plan to backup nightly you should have on mind that (real life) speed of one LTO unit is slightly over 60 GB/h. Your backup window may or may not be "wide" enough. Adding more LTO units to the fry helps, and so does adding external storage, backing your data there at network speeds and transferring that stuff (off the "backup" array) to tape at your leisure/convenience.

Branimir