RMAN archivelog all behavior

From: Peter Barnett <regdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:11:52 -0700 (PDT)

It appears from our testing that archivelog all is only useful when a database has been created new and all of the archive log files are available.

We have many databases that have been upgraded several times and are very old. The original archive log files have long since gone to the great bit bucket in the sky. If we have correctly tested, this mean that archivelog all is not available to us as an option in RMAN. We will probably be using Unix shell scripts and RMAN to accomplish what we had expected to accomplish using archivelog all.

Before going down this road, I would like to hear from anyone with experience using this RMAN command. Have we missed something? Is it possible to use it with older or upgraded databases? If so, can you point me to the documentation? I am a real fan of RTFM, but I think I have not found the right manual.

Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group
pnbarne_at_regence.com