RE: RMAN archivelog all behavior

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:11:09 -0500

Ruth, Tom - This is an important point. People seem to misunderstand RMAN a lot. While RMAN can store the archive logs, that is not necessary for a recovery. As long as the archive logs are available in the expected location, RMAN can use them to perform a recovery. In our situation, since we backup to disk (writing to tape later), I haven't seen any advantage in having RMAN store them. However, if you are using RMAN to back up to tape (using an MML), then you will probably find it necessary to have RMAN store the archive logs to tape as well.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

From: Ruth Gramolini [mailto:rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us] Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 9:52 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Actually, you will only need a level 0 backup, online or cold, to be able to do point in time recover from the time of the level 0 forward.

Ruth