Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Oracle instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Oracle instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:42:42 -0400

Jaco,

        Unless your application forces everyone using data from a particular = schema to log on as that schema Resource Manager is not going to help = you. Resource Manager is based on who you logged onto the database as. = Wish it worked otherwise since it could then help us with PeopleSoft. = But since everyone using PeopleSoft connects to the database as the = PeopleSoft owner, we're stuck.

        Also, most of the tools in this area today set an upper limit which = under normal circumstances a process/user should not exceed. Problem is = that when a user/process starts up these tools acquire a snapshot of how = the system/instance is loaded & then allow the user/process to run with = that. Therefore, even though you don't want a specific user to exceed = 25% utilization of the system, they will on occasion exceed that by a = significant amount & the software is somewhat slow at adjusting them = back down, because it may well be just a "spurt" that goes away by = itself. Therefore adjust your expectations accordingly.

        OEM's Performance pack will provide you insight into how much resources = a schema is using from a particular instance. IBM should have some = performance management stuff, or else you can acquire it from CA(yeah, I = know bad thing to say). You want to measure instances against each = other, and schema's against each other within an instance. Don't try = crossing schema's between instances, you'll get only odd results, mostly = bad. (BTDT)

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA