listener.ora search order

From: Charu Joshi <joshic_at_mahindrabt.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:16:45 +0530

Hi,

This is not a critical issue, but important for my understanding.

OS: NT4
Multiple Homes: ora_8i_home (d:\ora8i), ora_9i_home(d:\ora9i), and 2 others..
Selected Home: ora_8i_home
TNS_ADMIN environment variable: d:\ora9i\network\admin

1.When I run 'lsnrctl start' command, it reads the d:\ora8i\network\admin\listener.ora file.

2.If I remove this file and run 'lsnrtctl start', it reads the 'd:\ora9i\network\admin\listerner.ora' file.

In both the above cases, the TNSNames.ora files is read from the %TNS_ADMIN% location, but evidently not listerner.ora. Why? It seems that lsnrctl is searching in each Oracle Home for listerner.ora (as per registry order) and uses the first one that it finds.

There used to be a 7.3.4 client installation on my machine, which I removed as per metalink note 73963.1, so that there is no DEFAULT_HOME at present. After this, I found that another home DEFAULT_HOME1 was automatically added to registry with the same path as that of the earlier DEFAULT_HOME. Could this have something to do with the anamoly?

Any ideas/suggestion please?

Thanks and regards,
Charu.

PS: Can we not specify the path of listener.ora explicitly while running lsnrctl?

Disclaimer

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Visit us at http://www.mahindrabt.com