Re: listener.ora search order

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:38:47 -0800

I think we're in agreement there Paul.
I just neglected to include the order of the OH in the path.

Problem with email: thinking about it, but forgetting to type it. :)

Jared

Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
 02/22/2004 02:57 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: listener.ora search order

Jared,

I believe that you are taking an entirely too sophisticated approach. :D
You may be overthinking the problem.

It could be that the most simple explanation would be:

C:\> path

if the path has d:\oracle\ora81\bin first, it launches the file d:\oracle\ora81\bin\lsnrctl.exe, which reads the listener.ora file in its respective home.

if the path has d:\oracle\ora92\bin first, it launches the file d:\oracle\ora92\bin\lsnrctl.exe, which reads the listener.ora file in its respective home.

I used to run both 8.1.7 and 9.2 listeners on a box, until gaining comfort that only 9.2 listeners were needed for handling connection requests for both 817 and 92 dbs. each read their own config file. the listener name did not have to be unique across config files. the OS service names were unique, however, as the oracle version was in their name (e.g. OracleOraHome81TNSListener)

Paul

> On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 02:46, Charu Joshi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is not a critical issue, but important for my
> understanding.
> >
> > OS: NT4
> > Multiple Homes: ora_8i_home (d:\ora8i),
> ora_9i_home(d:\ora9i), and
> > 2 others..
> > Selected Home: ora_8i_home
> > TNS_ADMIN environment variable:
> d:\ora9i\network\admin
> >
> > 1.When I run 'lsnrctl start' command, it reads the
> > d:\ora8i\network\admin\listener.ora file.
> >
> > 2.If I remove this file and run 'lsnrtctl start',
> it reads the
> > 'd:\ora9i\network\admin\listerner.ora' file.
> >
> > In both the above cases, the TNSNames.ora files is
> read from the
> > %TNS_ADMIN% location, but evidently not
> listerner.ora. Why? It
> > seems that lsnrctl is searching in each Oracle
> Home for
> > listerner.ora (as per registry order) and uses the
> first one that
> > it finds.
> >
> > There used to be a 7.3.4 client installation on my
> machine, which
> > I removed as per metalink note 73963.1, so that
> there is no
> > DEFAULT_HOME at present. After this, I found that
> another home
> > DEFAULT_HOME1 was automatically added to registry
> with the same
> > path as that of the earlier DEFAULT_HOME. Could
> this have
> > something to do with the anamoly?
> >
> > Any ideas/suggestion please?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Charu.
> >
> > PS: Can we not specify the path of listener.ora
> explicitly while
> > running lsnrctl?
> >

> > Disclaimer
> >
> > This message (including any attachments) contains
> > confidential information intended for a specific
> > individual and purpose, and is protected by law.
> > If you are not the intended recipient, you should
> > any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this
> > message, or the taking of any action based on it,
> > is strictly prohibited.
> >

> > Visit us at http://www.mahindrabt.com
> >

> > Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com