Re: listener.ora search order

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:59:18 -0800

Without actually reading the manual and doing any research ( it is Sunday morning, and I don't feel like doing any ) I would say this is to be expected.

tnsnames.ora is used to resolve instance locations on a network. It doesn't really matter which version of client you are using, you want it to follow a certain search order.

On *nix it looks in $HOME/.tnsnames.ora, and then in $TNS_ADMIN/tnsnames.ora, and then in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora.

There's something similar in Win32, but I forget the location details for the $HOME equiv.

Listener on the other hand should run the listener.ora from the current Oracle home. You could conceivably have several different versions of listener running, each from a different Oracle home.

tnsnames.ora is used to lookup names, listener.ora is used to control the daemon that creates connections to the database. Quite a difference between the two.

I'll leave it to you to verify if this is correct from the fine manual.

Jared