Progress of an index rebuild

From: Daniel Hanks <hanksdc_at_about-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:49:25 -0800

Is there any way to check on the progress of an index rebuild? (Oracle 8i). I.e., it would be nice to get some indicator as to how far an index rebuild has gone, something like "75% done...".

As a rough indicator, I've noticed when rebuilding/moving an index to a different tablespace, Oracle will allocate temporary extents in the tablespace to which the index is being moved. So, in theory, I suppose I could see how big (in terms of extents) the index is before moving it and use that as a rough indicator to see how far along the rebuild is by counting the number of temporary extents allocated in the new tablespace (taking into account the extent size in the new tablespace).

Are there better ways to see the progress of an index rebuild?

Thanks for any help.

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 06 2004 - 11:49:25 CST