RE: Upgrade

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:29:34 -0800

We had some issues with using a TightVNC client against vnc server v3.3.7, whereby the server process would crash and not restart, requiring a server reboot. So TightVNC got tossed as a client in our environment.

Its nice to have Terminal Services enabled so that one can attempt to restart a crashed vnc server service. Terminal services in W2K don't fulfull a requirement of being able to connect with svrmgrl (8.1.7) lsnrctl, namesctl, or sqlplus over bequeath.
That is fixed in Windows 2003 Server.

I've been testing VNC v4.0 beta 4 on a server here, and have not had any issues while using the VNC v4.0 beta 4 client. One can check the release notes here:

http://www.realvnc.com/v4/release-notes.html

I haven't benchmarked it over dialup yet, though, just over a WAN. Its smooth and snappy, but that's only 3 hops away.

hth.

Paul

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus