RE: Interesting Locking Problem

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 01:29:23 -0800

Interesting indeed... I didn't see a version number in your note, but I am assuming that it is 8.1.7.x. We have also had some _very_ strange occurrences of 'library cache lock' / 'library cache pin' problems - sessions en-masse went into this state during high activity times on a Solaris based 8.1.7.3 Apps 11i DB supporting about 300 users. [One would have thought that lib cache pins/locks arose from voluntary/involuntary compiles of stored proc/packages caused by Duhlevelopers changing code on the sly]. We tightened up code changes, but this still occurred. We finally traced it down to a bug - one of the sessions obtains a 'row cache lock' for manipulating the dd cache for a specific table, and then 'hangs' and many other session queue behind this one with lib cache pins/locks on that same table. Oracle of course told us to upgrade to 8.1.7.4 - and we did after a long round of testing. And this occurred again yesterday - and Oracle is telling us to go 9.2.x as it was _really_ fixed in 9... Apparently this occurs when either a MV refresh on that object takes place, or a combination of TRUNCATEs (possibly on Partitioned tables) and INSERTs take place at the same time, during heavy load. Both these situations were likely in our case.

I think a ML search of certain keywords would generate a bug list of sufficient size!

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DB Soft Inc
Work : (408) 970 7002