RE: Securing the Database Structure

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:07:03 -0400

Hussain,

        As someone who has to support third party, purchased applications it is my firm belief that you want to make this as transparent as possible. Why, because no data system purchased today will operate in a vacuum. They have to be integrated into the remainder of the applications that the purchaser has. May I take a case in point?

        We've recently acquired a copy of SmartTime, a labor tracking application. Well this application needs data from both our HR system and ERP system as well as feeding data back into ERP. Now the vendor is not going to create those interfaces, but they did provide help in identifying the tables in their application that that we need to interface to. Without being able to see the database definitions we would not have been able to do that & consequently would have gone elsewhere.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Hussain Ahmed Qadri
  INET: hussain_at_skm.org.pk

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 10:07:03 CDT