RE: RMAN & SQL Backtrack

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kirtikumar_deshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:29:11 -0700 (PDT)

Wow! Mladen, thanks for listing my name in your list. As Arup mentioned, you forgot yourself. I would also suggest Dan Fink, Tim Gorman, and Dr. Mogens! Gaja is moving the other (dark) side, so I won't mind excluding him :)

When it comes to RMAN, I am not even in the rookie stage. We bought a few copies of RF's book. But mine has now found its place under my desk! The Damagement is not yet willing to commit any time and resources to "play" with RMAN and without the Tivoli API, we can not do much.

Although RMAN is free and the MML API may not cost as much, but when you have a merged Company like ours (VERIZON=GTE + BellAtlantic), we have our own 'sand boxes' and playing fields. Old BA stuff still uses SQL*BT while we, the fGTE DBAs want to move to RMAN.... But may be we all leave that decision to Amdocs, as they might get our IT business pretty soon, per some official rumors. Till then we will continue to use good old, and aged, hot backup scripts to backup databases of all shapes and sizes (from 1G to over 500G)

Cheers!