RAC or Oracle Fail Safe

From: Hussain Ahmed Qadri <hussain_at_skm.org.pk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:45:30 +0500

Hello all,

We have setup a Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS) cluster, with two nodes, using W2K, and now are in the process of deploying Oracle 9i on it. For the purpose of high availability (HA), we are deliberating on setting up either RAC or Oracle Fail Safe. The confusion is over the fact that if we get HA with oracle Fail Safe, i.e. if one node is down due to any problem, then the other takes over, then can we do without RAC? Which of these two is more transparent to the user, i.e. which will take less time to shift the load from one node (server) to the other node? Can any one explain the benefits of using RAC over Oracle Fail Safe, or vice versa.

Regards,

Hussain

DBA SKMCH&RC Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 10:45:30 CDT