RE: cannot allocate new log

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:19:45 -0800

Try to add some more RedoLog groups.

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
ineyman_at_perceptron.com

-----Original Message-----
Cullen
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 11:25 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the quick reply,

We're not getting an oracle error no: This is the message in the alert log
Mon Jun 02 08:19:19 2003
Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 711 All online logs needed archiving
  Current log# 2 seq# 710 mem# 0: D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\GDA\GDA_21.LOG   Current log# 2 seq# 710 mem# 1: E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\GDA\GDA_22.LOG

The event log has a similar message.

Our database is in archivelogmode
log_archive_start = True

Space is not an issue on the drive - there's at least 10 gigs free. Disk access and write permissions are ok as it seems to write some of the
logs but then stops!
I checked this by doing an alter system switch logfile - to force a write -
which was successful.

Any other suggestions are appreciated,

N.

Author: Igor Neyman