RE: cannot allocate new log

From: M Rafiq <>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:24:46 -0800

Yoiur logfile size is too small to handle peaktime DML activities.

Possible solutions:

First track that job resulting in so much archiving. Check through v$sqlarea with active sessions resuling in DMA.
Increase size of your logfiles and meantime also try to add more group/members. For specifics see Oracle DBA manual.

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 08:24:50 -0800

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the quick reply,

We're not getting an oracle error no: This is the message in the alert log Mon Jun 02 08:19:19 2003
Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 711 All online logs needed archiving

   Current log# 2 seq# 710 mem# 0: D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\GDA\GDA_21.LOG    Current log# 2 seq# 710 mem# 1: E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\GDA\GDA_22.LOG

The event log has a similar message.

Our database is in archivelogmode
log_archive_start = True

Space is not an issue on the drive - there's at least 10 gigs free. Disk access and write permissions are ok as it seems to write some of the logs but then stops!
I checked this by doing an alter system switch logfile - to force a write - which was successful.

Any other suggestions are appreciated,

Author: M Rafiq

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051