cannot allocate new log

From: Nuala Cullen <>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 06:19:40 -0800

Hi All,

I keep getting a cannot allocate new log in the alert log. This freezes the entire application and I am unable to connect to oracle in order to do a statspack snap shot.

This is an upgrade to Version set up on a WK2000 (NEW) Server with 2 gigs of memory.

We are writing to 3 separate disks

Our D&E drives are RAID 0+1. The log files (including application logs) are written to these drives
The F drive is raid 5 - this is where our data resides. (No logs are written to the F drive)

Currently we have 4 groups of redo log files

         group 1  ('d:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_11.log',

'e:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_12.log') size 20M reuse,
group 2 ('d:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_21.log',
'e:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_22.log') size 20M reuse,
group 3 ('d:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_31.log',
'e:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_32.log') size 20M reuse,
group 4 ('d:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_41.log',
'e:\oracle\oradata\gda\gda_42.log') size 20M reuse
and we archive to e:\oracle\arc\gda These are our log settings from the init.ora log_buffer = 131072 log_checkpoint_interval = 100000000 log_checkpoint_timeout = 0

I have the performance monitor running the whole time and when this happens the CPU, DISK QUE LENGTH all look normal. I have read the archive files regarding this error but thought that the above set-up was sufficient.
Can anybody *please* give me some idea of what other areas I should be looking at in order to prevent the error from occurring. Would writing smaller files help? Disk space is not an issue.

Thanks - all advice appreciated,

(developer/part-time DBA)

Nuala Cullen
30 Park Gate
Milton Park
OX14 4SH
Phone:         +44 (0) 1235 838151
Fax:            +44 (0) 1235 838160

Direct Line: +44 (0) 1235 838147

The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing software at because binary attachments are not appropriate for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to you by private E-mail.

This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions about this message, contact for clarification.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: Nuala Cullen

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051