RE: which util do I use to see oracle's execution plan?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:17:31 -0800

Maryann - No problem, welcome to the list. We only ask that you make a slight effort to search for the answer first, but these are good questions that you won't quickly find as a beginner.

  1. Oracle provides an explain plan feature to show you how your SQL will be handled. You must create a table in your schema called plan_table. Here is a tutorial (you'll have to patch the link back together): http://www.evolt.org/article/Use_Oracle_s_Explain_Plan_to_Tune_Your_Queries/ 17/2986/
  2. You can do as much damage by tuning the SGA as anything, so learn how to do it right from the start. Buy: Oracle Performance Tuning 101 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072131454/qid=1054149138/sr=8
    -1/ref=sr_8_1/103-6975634-9907034?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
    Another good book I've recently found is The Art and Science of Oracle Performance Tuning: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904347010/qid%3D1054149206/sr%3D11-1 /ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-6975634-9907034

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Maryann Atkinson
  INET: maryann_30_at_yahoo.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 28 2003 - 15:17:31 CDT