RE: which util do I use to see oracle's execution plan?

From: Steve McClure <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 17:09:43 -0800

I didn't follow the link That Dennis gave you regarding use of explain plan, but I am sure it explains how to get it initially set up for you. Once that is in place I recommend looking up a sqlplus utility called autotrace.

To enable it you need to create a role(by running a script @?/sqlplus/admin/plustrce.sql --make sure you are connected as sys). You then assign the newly created "plustrace" role to you and anyone else who may need it.

To turn it on you just type set autotrace on at your sqlplus prompt. There are other options that refine its usage, but that should get you started in the right direction.

Steve

Author: Maryann Atkinson
  INET: maryann_30_at_yahoo.com