Re: Opinions request - Oracle on WIN2K vs Unix

From: Chris Berry <compjma_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:36:59 -0800

>From: "david davis" <ddoralist_at_hotmail.com>
>Chris,
>
>Any issue with administration? We use PCAnywhere currently to access server
>consoles (switching to Tivoli Remote Control) which is a big pain with only
>one person able to login in that way. Can't use Terminal server (actually
>Oracle documentation says there are issues also) due to problems with
>Tuxedo.
>
>I have this fear that I am going to have to cross the city to the data
>centre to access the server directly on occassion. And the traffic is
>lousy.

If you need multiple GUI access to the same server I don't have an answer for you, however OpenSSH works just fine (either by itself or as part of the Cygwin package) and can give you multiple command lines for just this sort of situation. I haven't played around with it, but supposedly you can run an X server on windows, so that might be something to look into.

Chris Berry
compjma_at_hotmail.com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides

Author: Chris Berry
  INET: compjma_at_hotmail.com