Re: Data Transfer or Views from SQL Server to Oracle

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 06:53:40 -0800

Nikunj,

You can try something I did a long time ago, in Oracle 7.3; but it's also applicable now.

Create an ODBC datasource on the machine where the SQL Server resides to pint to the Oracle database. For the initial load, I suppose you can create a table in SQL Server as "select * from table_in_oracle". For the changes, put a trigger in each of the Oracle tables to capture the changes and write to a change_log table, similar to the replication related snapshot log table. Create a view that joins the main table and it's log table to show only the changed rows. From SQL Server side, simply read record-by-record from this view through the ODBC link and insert/update/delete as necessary.

HTH. Arup Nanda

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com