Re: OT: Guidelines/Standards for supporting non-oracle

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:44:16 -0800

At 01:15 PM 12/10/2002 -0800, Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We are virtually an Oracle shop with 2-3 sql server databases due to
>3rd-party software restrictions.
>We have been asked about supporting other "small" databases such as
>Access,etc within our company. My question is if
>you were asked to support "smaller" databases what
>restrictions/guidelines/standards are worth considering?
>Be kind-constructive answers only :-)

This is a tough nut to crack, and has probably been dealt with by everyone in this business at one time
or another. Biggest problem I've seen in these situations is that, as a professional, you often don't know
what you're being asked to do. Kind of like a construction contractor bidding on the job without getting
to see it first.

I guess it depends what you mean by "support".

A small database such as Access is usually only a single-user or departmental solution at best.

Perhaps you could decide not to support these at all, unless they're converted to Oracle or SQL*Server?

This would then also give you the ability to redesign/re-engineer these databases for enterprise support
standards you may already have. I would really question how someone can implement data integrity and
performance for an application they did not design and have no documentation about.

Author: Michael Fontana
  INET: mfontana_at_verio.net