Re: OT: Guidelines/Standards for supporting non-oracle

From: Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:30:34 -0800

I do not know if this was a configuration error or something that is built into access but some time ago a package based on access stopped working. We found out that the access database got to 1GB size and stopped growing so they could not insert new data into it.

Yechiel Adar
Mehish

  At 01:15 PM 12/10/2002 -0800, Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com wrote:

    Hi,

    We are virtually an Oracle shop with 2-3 sql server databases due to     3rd-party software restrictions.
    We have been asked about supporting other "small" databases such as     Access,etc within our company. My question is if     you were asked to support "smaller" databases what     restrictions/guidelines/standards are worth considering?     Be kind-constructive answers only :-)

  This is a tough nut to crack, and has probably been dealt with by everyone in this business at one time   or another. Biggest problem I've seen in these situations is that, as a professional, you often don't know   what you're being asked to do. Kind of like a construction contractor bidding on the job without getting   to see it first.

  I guess it depends what you mean by "support".

  A small database such as Access is usually only a single-user or departmental solution at best.

  Perhaps you could decide not to support these at all, unless they're converted to Oracle or SQL*Server?

  This would then also give you the ability to redesign/re-engineer these databases for enterprise support   standards you may already have. I would really question how someone can implement data integrity and   performance for an application they did not design and have no documentation about.

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 03:30:34 CST