datafile sizing question

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:33:19 -0800

Okay, I'm about to create some locally managed tablespaces for some large partitioned tables. I plan on making each datafile 2GB, with an extent of 20M.

What I've done other times when I use LMTs is add 64K to the file size, for the bitmap header, so that I don't waste most of an extent. But in those cases, the datafile size has been less than 2GB.

We will be on Solaris 2.8, I know that the OS can handle files larger than 2GB but it makes me nervous to do this.

I hate to waste most of 20M just for the bitmap header.

Is my thinking way off? If you've been doing this sort of sizing (it's a data warehouse, yes), what have you done?

thanks!

Rachel

Do you Yahoo!?
New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo! http://sbc.yahoo.com

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Sep 25 2002 - 11:33:19 CDT