RE: a couple of questions

From: David Miller <dm32840_at_bachelor.West.Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:59:04 -0800

Hi Greg (and all),

32-bit applications will run under 64-bit OS (Solaris 7-9 and on) with no problems. In fact a lot of the unix commands are 32-bit and probably will remain so. The main reason to go beyond 32-bit is if you need an address space for a single process to be above 4 GB. Not likely for things like lpr.

In any case, if you don't need larger address spaces, 32-bit binaries will run a little bit faster, like maybe 5% or so, because pointers are smaller and so use less space in the instruction cache, data cache and memory pages (and also SGA) meaning less work needs to be done moving memory around.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Oracle are certified on Solaris and seem to work fine.

Dave Miller
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
#include <std.disclaimer>

Author: David Miller