RE: Cognos

From: John Weatherman <john.weatherman_at_replacements.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:34:45 -0800

Paul,

Yes and no. As I understand datamarts, you do some renormalization, and you make sure that the end user looking at the data will have a reasonable chance of getting good information out from their queries. What is being suggested here is access to a clone of the Prod OLAP system. Many of these tables have similarly or identically named fields that ARE NOT foreign keys. Someone blindly building queries will almost certainly get erroneous information.

My concern isn't "I don't want end users in the data", it's "I don't want the end users making business decisions on data and not information".

In general, I agree that it is the end users data, but then they might be to two year olds matches too. I feel no moral compunction to let them be burned....

John P Weatherman
Database Administrator
Replacements Ltd.

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com

  INET: Paul.Parker_at_bmwna.com

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 15:34:45 CDT