RE: Any Equivalent of SAR command in NT/2000

From: Michael P Sale <Michael.Sale_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:03:36 -0800

I'm not really sure that this is a question or a declaration of discomfort.

If you are looking for a very thorough book on the internal structure of windows 2000 then I would highly recommend the book by Russinovich and Solomon, "Inside Windows 2000" as a start, then, as someone familiar with C, you should move on to "rogramming Applications for Microsoft Windows".

Once you have that foundation you can start to get more and more familiar with the internals by examining the source for the various utilities that exist on sysinternals.com. Sysinternals.com has a number of internals white papers that explain explicit details as well. To go further than that you can find an overabundance of information on microsofts msdn website at msdn.microsoft.com.

The problem with the windows perfmon utility is the overabundance of counters, not the lack of them. You DO have to understand the OS architecture and even details to properly tune a windows system. But, just like on the various flavors of Unix, there are a number of key counters that you can use to get 80% of your tuning done. Its that 20% that requires real expertise.

There is also a problem with the fact that the OS is more of a black box than Linux or BSD, but the reality is that MS has convinced many companies to use windows. Its your Choice to be familiar with it or not. I'm all for choice, especially when it comes to performance profiling. It IS my opinion there are advantages to systems like Linux when you have the time and money to put into a tuning effort for a deep profile of a system. Oracle is going full speed ahead with Red Hat's advanced server addressing some of the previous issues with OS cluster software and kernelized async io, but the fact remains that there are more Oracle systems out there running on windows than linux.

Regards,

Michael Sale
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net

command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Michael P Sale
  INET: Michael.Sale_at_oracle.com