RE: Statistical sampling and representative stats collection

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:03:34 -0800

We have a Y/N (yes/no) "processing flag" column on a very large table. As an alternative to a bitmapped index, we changed the code to manipulate Y/null values because < 0.1% of values are 'Y' and the others are null. The resulting index is quite small but we do rebuild it periodically. This has worked quite well for us.

Steve Orr
Bozeman, MT

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com