RE: Fav. Urban Legend...

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:08:38 -0800

#7 is right on the nose. I can't count the times that a developer has told me that another index will solve all his performance problems.

                    "Jamadagni,
                    Rajendra"            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    <Rajendra.Jam        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    adagni               cc:
                    @espn.com>           Subject:     RE: Fav. Urban Legend...
                    Sent by: root

                    03/13/2002
                    10:53 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

My humble suggestions

  1. CBO doesn't work ... (well it failed 3 years ago when I compiled a Forms 3.0 form against 803 database, so it is STILL true).
  2. Writing reusable code is not good, it is waste of time.
  3. Exception handling ... Oracle is pretty good are reporting them ...
  4. We need to get a larger box with 32 CPUs and 16TB of disk and 32GB of RAM, that will make our application run faster
  5. Application code is already optimal since I wrote it in 7.2, no need to revisit the code for our upgrade to 9i, it will optimize itself.
  6. You DBA guys are overly overrated ...
  7. Once Table with 32 columns, 28 are indexed in 17 different indexes on the table and this (highly transactional inserts, updates) table is used by at-least 10 users at any given time ... the developer thinks "this design is perfect"

Whew ... I feel better now ...
Raj

Rajendra Jamadagni MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

<< Attachment Removed : ESPN_Disclaimer.txt >>

  INET: tday6_at_csc.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 12:08:38 CST