RE: Oracle taking too much physical memory

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:03:43 -0800

My bad. I didn't notice that he was doing a select * from v$sga and thought that it was the init.ora parameters.

My comments on the SGA size were based on WinNT 4.0. I assume, from your comments, that W2K is better about not swapping the RAM out to disk.

                    "MacGregor,
                    Ian A." <ian         To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    @SLAC.Stanfor        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    d.EDU>               cc:
                    Sent by: root        Subject:     RE: Oracle taking too much physical
                                         memory

                    03/13/2002
                    11:53 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

You have one gigabyte of memory on your machine and your SGA  is  over 700 MB.  That seems excessive   I doubt you need 640 megabytes' worth of block buffers.  There is nothing wrong by the way with nearly exhausting physical memory.   However improperly assigning it is a problem, as is excessive paging.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu