Re: Fw: Just got back from SQL*Server 2000 training...

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:38:33 -0800

Archivelog mode -
I don't like putting test databases in archivelog mode. Or databases that are updated once a day. Redo logs are adequate to recover from a power system failure.

Mirroring -
The problem with relying on hardware mirroring is that it mirrors everything - corruption, delete commands, etc. I learned this one the hard way.

Restricted activities-
 probably don't have to do this stuff on small SQL Server databases.

txn log -
Oracle isn't vulnerable when you are backing up/deleting archive logs.

single schema -
Sounds like some applications that we have had to install, which were developed by lazy programmers who weren't concerned about security. You know, the ones that require a single user with full DBA rights.

>>> G.Plivna_at_itsystems.lv 02/19/02 11:08AM >>> I sent this e-mail to a friend who works with SqlServer and he sent this to a SqlServer list as You can see from headers

Here are comments of a member :-))))))))

Gints Plivna
IT Sisttmas, Merfena 13, LV1050 Rega
http://www.itsystems.lv/gints/

My two cent's prefaced by >>>>>>. I'm not an Oracle expert, and my answers reflect my limited (5 years) experience as a DBA...

*Row size cannot span multiple 8k pages, therefore max row size = 8k

*Cannot take DB out of "archivelog" mode. Can limit what is posted to txn log, but cannot stop it.

*Txn logs not mirrored. Must rely on RAID or other mirroring software.

*Separate permissions for RI checking. Requires two permission grants if foreign key exists - one for child table and one for parent table. Called REFERENCES permission.

*Recommended that ALL production objects owned by DBO - not conducive to multi-schema instances.

*Activities that are restricted during backups:

1.  Creating or modifying databases.
2.  Performing autogrow operations.
3.  Creating indexes.
4.  Performing nonlogged operations.
5.  Shrinking a database.

Backups directly to tape require the tape to be attached locally to SQL Server.

*When txn log fills up, have to just "truncate" the log in order for processing to continue. Leaves system vulnerable until you get a full DB backup.

*If you have a 100GB DB that is full, your backup will be 100GB. No compression of backups!

Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com