Benchmark Myopia

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:19:00 -0800

> It's faster than Oracle.

Oh... You hit a hot button!!!

MySQL is faster at performing 1 query in 1 database session and not much more. But "comparing" the performance of a database engine without considering concurrent multi-user OLTP activity is very short-sighted. I just finished some benchmark tests of MySQL ISAM, MySQL InnoDB, and Oracle using Perl DBD. MySQL was fast with individual queries, inserts or updates but it barfed as soon as I cranked up the number of sessions. Oracle flew through 30 concurrent sessions with each session performing many different queries. I was eager to further crank up the number of sessions (via a loop in Perl) but MySQL crapped out so there was no point going any further. MySQL ISAM does table level locking and one session would put all the others in a wait state. MySQL InnoDB does row level locking but the InnoDB developer (Heikki Tuuri) conceded that it InnoDB also barfs with multi-user select, inserts, updates and deletes so he's still working on it. The open source MySQL community still has a lot of work to do to catch up to Oracle's performance when it comes to any real world multi-user database activity.

MySQL faster than Oracle? This is a pearlescent example of benchmark myopia.

IMHO,
Steve Orr
Bozeman, Montana

Author: Orr, Steve