RE: rman restore & arclogs

From: HAWKINS, JAMES W [IT/1000] <james.w.hawkins_at_pharmacia.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 07:08:48 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Lisa,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
believe Oracle tries to restore the most recent version of the archivelogs, according to the timestamp in the catalog.  But if that's corrupted or not found for whatever reason, you can get it from the other backupset.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Jim
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>P.S.  Sorry for the vague answer, but I haven't ever had to do this so I'm not sure myself.  I can ask our RMAN Guru if you really want to know ; )

<FONT face="Bookman Old Style"

size=2>__________________________________________________ <FONT
face="Bookman Old Style" size=2>Jim Hawkins <FONT
face="Bookman Old Style" size=2>Oracle Database Administrator <FONT face="Bookman Old Style" size=2>Data Management Center of Expertise Pharmacia Corporation <FONT
face="Bookman Old Style" size=2>800 North Lindbergh Blvd. <FONT
face="Bookman Old Style" size=2>St. Louis, Missouri  63167 <FONT
face="Bookman Old Style"
size=2>Work          (314)

694-4417 <FONT face="Bookman Old Style"
size=2>Cellular     (314) 724-9664 <FONT
face="Bookman Old Style"
size=2>Pager         (314)

294-9797
<FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff

size=2>james.w.hawkins_at_pharmacia.com

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa   [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001   2:46 PMTo: 'ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com'; HAWKINS, JAMES W   [IT/1000]Subject: RE: rman restore &
  arclogs
  Interesting.  Does rman ever get
  confused during a restore or does it just grab the most convenient backup set   with the required archive logs on it? I don't suppose you can parallel restore   your arclogs from different files/tapes?  (There goes that monkey   again)
  Thanks for your response Jim.
  Lisa

    -----Original Message----- <FONT
    face=Arial size=1>From:   <FONT face=Arial     size=1>HAWKINS, JAMES W [IT/1000]
    [SMTP:james.w.hawkins_at_pharmacia.com] <FONT face=Arial     size=1>Sent:   Monday, December
    03, 2001 2:51 PM <FONT face=Arial

    size=1>To:     <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Subject:        <FONT
    face=Arial size=1>RE: rman restore & arclogs
    I just wanted to throw something
    else out there - it may have already come up though.  We backup the     archivelogs first without deleting them, and then immediately backup another     set with the "delete" specified.  Obviously, this is because anything     can happen to that first set (corruptions, etc.), and if that's your only     set, then you're screwed.  The chances of the same archivelog     being corrupt in both sets is very low (unless the source archivelog is     corrupted), but at least you are protected against all the copy     errors.  Also, it's very probable (for us, anyway) that each copy of     the archivelog will be on different physical tapes, which in itself is     important to us since operations is outsourced ; )      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Jim
    <FONT face="Bookman Old Style"
    size=2>__________________________________________________<FONT
    face=Arial>Jim
    Hawkins<FONT face="Bookman Old Style"     size=2>Oracle Database Administrator<FONT     face="Bookman Old Style" size=2>Data Management Center of     Expertise
    Pharmacia Corporation<FONT
    face=Arial>800 North
    Lindbergh Blvd.<FONT
    face="Bookman Old Style" size=2>St. Louis, Missouri  63167<FONT
    face=Arial><FONT face="Bookman Old Style"
    size=2>Work          (314)

    694-4417<FONT face="Bookman Old Style"
    size=2>Cellular     (314) 724-9664<FONT
    face=Arial><FONT face="Bookman Old Style"
    size=2>Pager         (314)

    294-9797
    <FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff     size=2>james.w.hawkins_at_pharmacia.com
      -----Original Message-----<FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2>From: Mercadante,
      Thomas F [<A
      href="mailto:NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us">mailto:NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us]<FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2>Sent: Monday,
      December 03, 2001 12:56 PM<FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject:<FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2> RE: rman restore & arclogs<FONT
      face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Lisa, <FONT
      face=Arial>  I guess
      I'm lazy (or cautious) in that I would allow the first backup to take this
      archive log files back to tape where they belong, rather than determine
      (by running reports) which log files I may delete (by hand).
       The
      cautious part of me says that if Rman decided to back these monkeys up
      within the first save set after the recovery, it may have decided that it
      needs them for a future recovery.  If you did remove them by hand,
      Rman may complain that it was expecting them and did not find them.
      Did you try this - remove one that was restored by the recovery process
      and then tried a backup?
       <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Depending on the kind of restore you do  - a full, or a point
      in time - the archivelog may be of no use anyway (a point in time makes
      them invalid because you had to perform an "open db reset logs", while a
      full restore could still use these again).
       Glad
      you are at least experimenting with the tool before you put it in
      production - it actually is fun to do a restore as it happens so
      infrequently!
       Good
      Luck!
      Tom Mercadante<FONT
      face=Arial>Oracle Certified
      Professional

        -----Original
        Message-----From:<FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2> Koivu, Lisa [<A
        href="mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com">mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]<FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2>Sent: Monday,
        December 03, 2001 10:30 AM<FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>To: Multiple recipients of
        list ORACLE-L<FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>Subject: rman restore &
        arclogs
        Good morning all -
        I've been practicing rman restores.  It's a
        lot easier than I originally thought.  I've noticed that when you
        restore and the arclogs are needed, it restores them.  Which is
        expected.  However, when I take another backup, these arclogs are
        included in the backup set.  This is unnecessary in my opinion and
        makes my backup files larger than they need to be.
        Is it standard practice to just delete the arclogs
        that were already in a backup set prior to taking the immediate backup
        after a recovery?  I can verify what arclogs are where in the
        backup sets with a report.
        Any comments are appreciated.
        Thanks
        Lisa Koivu<FONT
        face=Georgia>Oracle Database Monkey<FONT
        face=Arial>Fairfield Resorts,
        Inc.<FONT
        face=Georgia>954-935-4117