Possibly moving to Sun Equipment

From: Steve McClure <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:09:21 -0800

Sorry for the double posting. I failed to include a subject line initially. My first day back, and already a list faux paus. Two I guess if you count the double post.

Hello All,
It has been a while since I have been here, but I am back and properly s ubscribed to the list again. I am looking to draw from your experiences here with hardware. Our current database resides on a Data General Aviion system with a Clarion drive cabinet. While we are very pleased with the system, and it's performance Data General is going the way of the Dinosaur, so we need to look at other options. The ones most currently floated have been the Sparc 880 or the 420R either configured with dual gigahertz processors. The IT manager has a desk piled high with marketing gobbledeegook, and has asked me if I know anything about either system. All I have been able to do is assure him that Solaris is essentially UNIX, and tell him I would check with some knowledgeable folks here about the hardware. Our DG box sports a Gig of RAM, and 4 300 mhz Intel processors. The best thing by far about our system is the Clarion drive cabinet that handles all our drives. The good news is I hear our cabinet is compatible with Sun hardware, so that might come right along with us. I have done a bit of internet searching, and seen these Sun boxes priced under 20K. My question is this. Are these serious platforms for a business currently handling 10K OLTP transactions a day, and looking to double or triple that volume within two years?

Steve McClure

Author: Steve McClure
  INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 29 2001 - 16:09:21 CST