RE: LOT (Little OT): Interesting Oracle related URL's.

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:32:11 -0700

Copyright is implicit once you publish a paper. You do not have to declare anything, the fact that you wrote it and published it gives copyright. I don't have to post the copyright information on it. And since I didn't put it on the site, or send it to the site owner, I couldn't have put it in the paper even if I had wanted to.

So in effect, yes, you broke my copyright by downloading and printing that paper. And, if I were charging money for that paper, I could sue you and the owner of the site you got it from. Technically I could do it now, but I'd have a hard time showing damages.

My point was not to charge, or to stop people from reading the paper. My point was just that it was illegal. And that there are legal ways to get the paper.

As for making a profit off the book -- I try very very hard NOT to self-promote DBA 101 on this list. I will respond to someone else's comments on it (thank you for buying it) but I rarely if ever will say "hey, my book has the answer on page ...."

And is it on my resume? Yes, buried down at the very end. Along with the fact that I have an OCP certificate. Neither of these means I can do the job someone wants me to do. The tech interview proves that. Or not.

I got my last 3 jobs without mention of the books I've written.

Now.... as for Steve Adams, he HAS written a book: Oracle8i Internal Services for Waits, Latches, Locks and Memory for O'Reilly

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com