re: is a paper copyright

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:31:44 -0700

Friday, June 08, 2001, 12:57:10 PM, you wrote: GT> I have a question on this topic. How do you know of a paper is copyrighted?

If you write something, you are considered to own the copyright to it. So your basic assumption should always be that a given paper is copyright by somebody. That could be the author, or it could be a publisher to whom the author assigned the copyright.

You can *register* a copyright. Registering a copyright gives you more legal clout when it comes to going after a violator. Timely registration can be significant when it comes to getting damages from a violator. See http://www.ivanhoffman.com/reg.html for a more detailed writeup of this issue.

GT> I downloaded the DBA 101 page and printed it so I could usefully benefit GT> from it. Was that wrong? Am I a lawbreaker now?

I have no idea. I would think not, since you just printed a copy for your own convenience. If you printed a copy and handed it out to a bunch of people, then you probably would be in violation.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com * 906.387.1698 http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://MetalDrums.org

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 08 2001 - 13:31:44 CDT