Re: Fwd: please help

From: Glen Mitchell <glen.mitchell_at_peace.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 22:17:42 -0700

>From what I have read there are three problems that Bill has described.
As this seems urgent and it is still daytime the Pacific timezone, I can offer some limited advice.  In order of importance they would be ...

1. Recovery of the database.
2. Slow shutdown.
3. SQL statements hanging.
1. I strongly recommend the TAR (or iTAR) approach - if you flag
it as a production issue you should get a priority response.  No Oracle error messages were provided so it makes it hard to give advice.  Oracle Support should be able to talk you through the recovery process with minimal risk of making the situation worse. 2. There can be many reasons for a slow shutdown.  The main things to look for would be long-running transactions that need to be rolled-back during a shutdown.  This can be quantified by looking at the active transactions in v$rollstat.  Once again there is not much info. to go on here.
3. Again, there can be many causes for SQL statements hanging and with not much info. to go on I would look at locking and the execution plan.  First check to see if there are any locks in the database using dba_locks or v$locked_object.  An SQL statement will sit and wait for the lock to be released by default.  Dba_locks and v$locked_object will help identify offending sessions and the locks that they hold which are blocking other SQL statements.  The other thing you could look at is the execution plan for a long-running (hung) statement.  The statement may be executing the hard-way ie. not using an index etc ...  The easiest way to verify the execution plan is to use the autotrace facility in SQL*Plus (the plan_table needs to exist).  The actual SQL statement can be obtained either from the user or from v$sqlarea/v$sqltext for a specific session.
I know this info. is brief and a bit vague but the best I can offer with the lack of specific info.
Glen

Jonathan Gennick wrote:
Fellow list members, I received the following email from a
reader a few minutes ago. If you skip down to where he talks about backup, you'll see that he's in trouble with a database that won't recover. I've already suggested that he open a TAR, and that he supply more specifics as to error messages and the like, but maybe someone on this list can draw some conclusions from what he's told me so far. If you're good at recovery, have a look at what he says. I'll post his email address later if he says its ok, and I'll pass on any advice/suggestions I receive in the meantime.
--
Best regards,
Jonathan Gennick
Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com
Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051
FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        --
Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
may

Glen Mitchell                   NZ Phone: +64 9 3730400
Energy Research Lab             URL: http://www.peace.com
Peace Software                  Email: glen.mitchell_at_peace.com