RE: How to break into DBA/Systems work without going broke doing

From: Hillman, Alex <Alex.Hillman_at_usmint.treas.gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:21:23 -0800

And logging tar's.

Alex Hillman

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Gogala, Mladen [SMTP:MGogala_at_oxhp.com]
        Sent:   Thursday, March 29, 2001 3:22 PM
        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
        Subject:        RE: How to break into DBA/Systems work without going
broke doing

        Anyway, Alex, LArry says that Oracle DBAs will become unnecessary with the

        version 9i, which will allegedly be so intelligent that it do everything

        on it's own, brewing the fresh pot of coffeee when needed, as well.

                Author: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com
                Date:       3/29/2001 6:35 AM

                Dick/Lee/Joe,

                I'm not trying to defend him but unless I have not yet
recieved
                a post in my mail, Xing never said he had an OCP.   Plus,
Lee,
                I think you may need to define "silver bullet".  It probably
doesn't
                translate for people who don't use English as a second
language.
                Cherie Machler
                Gelco Information Network
                (really too busy this morning migrating a database to be
sticking my
        nose
                where it doesn't belong)

                dgoulet_at_vicr.com_at_fatcity.com on 03/29/2001 08:00:45 AM

                Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

                Sent by:  root_at_fatcity.com

                To:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                cc:

                Lee & Joe,

                    While I do agree that is possible one should try to
figure these
        things
                out,
                and this really is a simple one, there does come a time when
asking
        for
                help is
                appropriate.  In this case Lee's answer is very much so.  As
far as
        taking
                an
                OCP course, that does torque my jaws.  Over the last two
years we
        must have
                had
                10 people looking for a job who's only mention of Oracle on
their
        resume is
                that
                they have their OCP certificate.  Needless to say, not a one
of them
        has
                been
                invited in for an interview.  I'll ask the question that's
been
        bugging me
                for
                some time, Xing, do you think this is some kind of "silver
bullet"
                getting a
                job?

                Dick Goulet

                Author: "Joseph S. Testa" <teci_at_oracle-dba.com>
                Date:       3/29/2001 4:05 AM

                Lee, i'm with you 200%,

                oh and for the original addressee(and others) if you can't
figure
        out
                what the heck that simple pl/sql block is doing(or where to
figure
        it
                out), then quit diluting the OCP worthiness,  people who
study just
                take the OCP and have no experience just go to further the
waste of
                paper that the certificate is printed on.  :)

                joe

                lerobe - Lee Robertson wrote:

> Xing,
>
> Have a look at the documentation, specifically,
Application Developers
> Guide, section dealing with "Using Procedures and
Packages".

> No disrespect intended but sometimes, certainly for
questions such as this,
> you will learn a heck of a lot more by digging around in
the docs, and
> reading (and working out) the answer for yourself. That is
certainly my
> experience. You will also fell encouraged to delve further
and learn more
> about other packages etc. Hope my pointer will help you.
>
> To the rest of you - I know it would have been quicker to
write down the
> answer to Xings question, but what will he have learned
about the general
> syntax ??
>
> Regards
>
> Lee

about,..
> Ya... I know I have to read alot, my OCP course will start
next month.

> BEGIN
> dbms_utility.analyze_schema ( '&OWNER', 'ESTIMATE',
NULL, 5 ) ;
> END ;
> /
>
> Thank you
>
> Xing

-- Joe Testa http://www.oracle-dba.com Performing Remote DBA Services, need some backup DBA support? For Sale: Oracle-dba.com domain, its not going cheap but feel free to ask :) -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Joseph S. Testa INET: teci_at_oracle-dba.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).
                  INET: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com

                Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
538-5051
                San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access /
Mailing
        Lists

You may
                also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).
                  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

                Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
538-5051
                San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access /
Mailing
        Lists

You may
                also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).

                This e-mail message has been scanned for the presence of all
known
        computer
                viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Control Center.  However,
it is
        still
                recommended that you use local virus scanning software to
monitor
        for the
                presence of viruses.

        Author: Hillman, Alex