Re: Re:RE: RE: Oracle DBA evolution path - please share your opi

From: Richard T. Vander Laan <rvander_at_lisco.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:44:59 -0800

I am looking for  a People Soft Oracle
application candidate for one of my clients. Please respond with your interest. Thanks Dick Vander Laan from R Vander Search LLC. Great client. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE

  I think I forgot to put a smile in
  my previous letter.  Sorry, I didn't mean to offend all the   respectable software development companies.
  I didn't speak only about developers ..   Developers are responsible for the code, DA is responsible for   the ER-model, DBA is responsible for support / maintenance. All of those   people are responsible for the end product. <FONT   face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>
  Take PeopleSoft, Oracle
  Applications, Platinum, Scala, etc - all of those products are known for   their overcomplicated maintenance. Do those companies have time / money   to redesign / rewrite their products? Yes. Do they do it? No. It's   all about the enormous amount of money they make on customization /   support.  The DA's and developers can be well-meaning though and never be   aware of the whole plan :-)).

  Regards,
  Michael Netrusov, www.atelo.com

From: Michael Netrusov [<A
href="mailto:mn_at_g-fax.com">mailto:mn_at_g-fax.com] <FONT
size=2>> > Yes, you are absolutely right,
nobody is having interest in > selling quality
products. > Money is coming from the support of
the product, not from the > selling of the
product itself. If the product is well-written, then <FONT
size=2>> it'll be no big deal with maintenance, hence no money from
> contractors who support and "customize" the
application ( > read: fix the <FONT
size=2>> numerous bugs on fly and try to make the whole $hit work ).
> The more complicated the product, the more
money is paid for it's > maintenance. The more
money is paid, the more people are is >
interested in working with it.  The only problem is to sell the
whole > stuff - but it's only a matter of the
sales department' qualification.
Coming from a development company, I think I have to point
out that in my humble opinion the statements above are an unfair
generalization. I think developpers in general try to produce a well-written
product, and the fact that products get more complicated is that users
expect more features from newer versions.
To give an analogy, if I posted on this list "all DBAs try
to have a database that requires a lot of manual maintenance and don't
document anthing - that's in their interest for job security", I'm sure
there would be a general outcry.