RE: Oracle DBA evolution path - please share your opi

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:00:31 -0800

Why has it changed? You can't stop progress!

Sorry it took me so long to answer. On the internal website we have a pdf document entitled "What's New In SQL Navigator Version 4.0" and I'm trying to find out if it can be publicized.

Here is a short list of the enhancements. If/when I do find out if I can send out the full PDF document I will e-mail it to you.

User interface enhancements

Docking windows
Simplified menus and toolbars
New Task Bar for easier window-switching Drag-and-Drop enhancements
Personalized workspaces for developers
Synchronized menus and toolbars
Easier switching between sessions
Improved Preferences setup
More convenient Logon routine
Multi-paged Output window

Easier location of objects and code

Easier database browsing
Oracle 8i objects
Windows Explorer-style display
Additional DB Navigator tree nodes
Less duplication
Powerful new Code Explorer
Speedy selection of database objects
Source Search utility enhancements
Describe tool enhancements
Quick detail view of any object

Editor enhancements

All-in-one SQL editor
New Query Result Window
Default schema for object editors
New and enhanced Visual Object Editors
Debugger enhancements
Easier editing of data in database objects Support for Oracle 8 partitioned tables and indexes Improved Editor for triggers and stored programs PL/SQL Profiler
Query Builder enhancements
Code Assistant enhancements
Calling Code Generation Wizard enhancements Extract DDL enhancements

Miscellaneous enhancements

More stable, easier to maintain
Multi-threaded task execution
Faster, more efficient execution

any ignorant comments made are the sole responsibility of J. R. Kilchoer and should not reflect adversely upon my employer.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive