Re: Oracle Licensing

From: Joseph S. Testa <teci_at_oracle-dba.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:45:29 -0800

Oracle has been riding the concept of "we're oracle so you want to use our database" for a long while. I'll be one of the last to condone sql-server(as i've recently had to work with it for a client, and i talked up oracle for a while) but Mr Larry is losing market share, check out any of the financial stories about ORCL.

The problem with M$ sql-server is its just not as scalable as oracle(yet). Think about it with the power unit concept its becoming too damn expensive except for the high-roller fortune 250 companies. I need a playgound to test new options, etc, if the whole technet thing did not exist, i'd never pay the price for the database just to experiment.

my .02 is the whole power unit thing is a good concept but the $$ per unit is way outta whack. the only reason i say that is its been hard for oracle to denote when people were using more than the licenses they bought were being used. I had always setup the databases with the v$license parms setup in the database. But sometimes damagement "required" me to "uplift" the limits. We'll leave it at that.

joe

--
Joe Testa  http://www.oracle-dba.com
Performing Remote DBA Services, need some backup DBA support?
Author: Joseph S. Testa
  INET: teci_at_oracle-dba.com