RE: Oracle Licensing

From: Tom Schruefer <tschruefer_at_mail.howard.k12.md.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:25:38 -0800

As luck would have it I was evaluating the prices of Oracle and then SQL Server today.

My question at this point is, what kind of prices does Microsoft charge for support, I was pretending to purchase SQL Server and noticed that no mention is made about product support.

Using the "Power Unit" method MS and Oracle come out within about $5k of each other, but when you get to their Enterprise editions, MS is just under $20k where as Oracle is way out there. The cheaoest I could get Oracle, with unlimited users (which is what I need). On a 1ghz Intel, single processor machine with a 2 yr lic, Oracle Enterprise costs $45,600 (thats if you want support with your DB).

If it were my money $20k vs. $45k+, hummm.

I'm no Friend-of-Bill, but one has to wonder how Oracle can compete with such a huge price difference. Is MS doing to Oracle what it did to Netscape and dozens of other companies?

Tom

Author: Tom Schruefer
  INET: tschruefer_at_mail.howard.k12.md.us