Re: Database link from 8.1.6 to 8.0.5 - error ORA-12505

From: William Dong <William_Dong_at_nylim.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:38:34 -0500

Hi,

  1. If network set up correctly, check the init.ora/or select the parameter "GLOBAL_NAME" to see the vaule. If it was set to true, then you must use the remote database name(FW01) as the link name, not (TESTREMOTE).
  2. From yr syntax, I assume you have same username/password on both databases, otherwise modify the syntax. Hope this hit the points, Good Luck!

"Oweson Flynn" <Oweson.Flynn_at_liberty.co.za> on 01/25/2001 03:50:30 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: William Dong/New York Life Asset Management) Subject: Re: Database link from 8.1.6 to 8.0.5 - error ORA-12505

Hi John,

Where is the tnsnames.ora file that you are quoting?

I assume (perhaps fallaciously) that you have a PC which is running your SQL*Plus session. I also assume that you can connect to both instances from your SQL*Plus session on your PC.

However (the way I understand it) is that the definition of the db link must be defined in the tnsnames.ora on the server to which you are connected. So (if it is Unix) telnet onto the box, and try running a sqlplus session to the 'remote' instance - if it still fails, it may be that the tnsnames.ora on the server also need to have the instance added.

Let me see if I can state this more clearly:- If you think about it, you are connecting to instance A from your PC. Then you are asking instance A to retrieve data from instance B via the db link. It isn't your PC (which has instance B defined in it's tnsnames.ora) that is retrieving the data, but instance A. Therefore instance B must be defined in the tnsnames.ora on the server hosting instance A.

I admit I am making a couple of very large assumptions here, and may be totally off target ...

Let me know if this helps at all ...

Regards
Oweson Flynn

Certified Oracle DBA