Re: Customised message while connecting to a database...

From: John Kanagaraj <JKanagaraj_at_mfi.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:07:17 -0800

Hi all,

> To change the message following ORA-01045 in an english version :
> - go to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/mesg/
> - save a copy of oraus.msg & oraus.msb
> - edit oraus.msg and change the text
> - rebuild oraus.msb with the lmsgen tool : $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lmsgen oraus.msg
> RDBMS ORA AMERICAN
> - logon to sqlplus and see what happens ...
>
> But, once more, I do not think it is advisable to change the default Oracle
> messages.

Exactly! What happens when there is a patch update or even a new version? You loose all the changes (unless you document them and re-enter them if at all possible).

> > ORA-01045: user LRDS lacks CREATE SESSION privilege;
> > logon denied.
> >
> > Is there any way to customize this message? For
> > example, 'You are not suppose to connect at this
> > time...if essential please call <phone number>'.

Don't we want Oracle to display such cryptic messages so that DBAs like us can exist to explain them!!!! :)

John Kanagaraj
http://www.geocities.com/john_sharmila
** God so loved the world that he didn't send a committee ** Received on Fri Nov 03 2000 - 13:07:17 CST