RE: Unix Problem !!

From: <Heidi_Schmidt_at_gillette.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:37:19 -0400

Since you have so much you may want to execute a du -sk . | sort -n on the directory and redirect that to a file

Then partition out the file list by size. Use each of those files as separate include files in multiple tar files creation

What I like about that is I can print out the list afterwards and viola! a history of what I moved and dealt with is at my fingertips for reference.

After the tar file creation then type gzip --best name_of_tar_file.tar & (Check your flavor of operating system man pages for the exact flag; it can vary)

Like Brian said, The gzip command will compress the file. The - - best flags uses its best algorithm to compress the files into a smaller size.
Generically you can expect to reduce by 2/3 rds total size.

With the ftp, besides using mput or mget; at the prompt type bin and the command hash
It will port everything over in binary and also give you a feed back ######## progression line.
ncftp is even niftier, but requires it to be hand installed since it doesn't come with most UNIX flavors (unless Linux) by default

Best of!

     Heidi

                    "Brian D.
                    Silverio"              To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    <bsilverio_at_necc        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    .mass.edu>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     RE: Unix Problem !!
                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    10/24/00 01:10
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Tar the directory that contains the files and then ftp the tar ball.

If the files are in /foo/bar/me/stuff
cd to /foo/bar/me and then
tar cvf my.tar.ball stuff
This should take care of all the files.

Then ftp my.tar.ball (you may want to compress it first) On the other system cd to /my/new/directory and uncompress the file and then
tar cft my.tar.ball
If your version of tar supports compression you can include the compress/uncompress in the tar commands.

Brian

Author: Brian D. Silverio
  INET: bsilverio_at_necc.mass.edu