Converting character field containing hex to number

From: Murray, Margaret <mamurray_at_husseyseating.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:49:14 -0400

Hi All,
I'm on 7.3.4 on NT (yes, but we're running Applications 10.7, that's why) and in the v$process table there's a column spid which appears to be the NT pid number in hex. How can I convert this from hex to a number? HEXTORAW won't work as this isn't raw.

My ultimate goal is to be able to query v$process, get a process id number and use task manager to kill the renegade pid. This worked great on UNIX, but will it work on NT?

Margaret Murray
Hussey Seating

Example:
SQL> select addr, pid, spid, serial# from v$process;

ADDR PID SPID SERIAL#
-------- ------ --------- ---------

30827044    192 0022B             4
308272DC    193 00249             2
30827574    194 0025D             5

SQL> desc v$process
 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 ADDR                                     RAW(4)
 PID                                      NUMBER
 SPID                                     VARCHAR2(9)
 USERNAME                                 VARCHAR2(15)
 SERIAL#                                  NUMBER
 TERMINAL                                 VARCHAR2(16)
 PROGRAM                                  VARCHAR2(64)
 BACKGROUND                               VARCHAR2(1)
 LATCHWAIT                                VARCHAR2(8)
 LATCHSPIN                                VARCHAR2(8)