Re: Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2/400

From: <TCarlson_at_bunge.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:02:53 -0500

We are using version 1.3.0.1 and I am not sure what 400 OS we are using. Our databases are on NT. (yeah, I know we should get a real OS) The gateway was installed on the AS400. It works well once it is setup correctly. The performance is only OK and greatly depends on your network architecture. I just loaded 1.5 mil records from the 400 to Oracle in under 2 hours. SQL*Loader can do the same thing directly in under ten minutes.

We are currently rewriting most of our FTP - SQL*Loader interfaces to use the gateway. It results in a much simpler and quicker process for small to medium loads. ETL is much easier because our existing PL/SQL can be modified to do everything in one shot. I would recommend it if you do a lot of 400 to Oracle transfers.

Steven Monaghan <MonaghaS_at_mscdirect.com> on 10/20/2000 12:30:42 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L cc: (bcc: Todd Carlson)

Subject: Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2/400

I was asked to look into ways for our DB2/400 database to be able to access the Oracle database, and this apparently is Oracle's tool.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Any Positives/Negatives? How's Performance? Does anyone use another product to accomplish this?

TIA,
Steve

Steven Monaghan
Oracle DBA
MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc.
Melville, NY
MonaghaS_at_mscdirect.com
http://www.mscdirect.com

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain
privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under law. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by replying to the e-mail. Please then delete the e-mail and destroy any copies of it. Thank you.

Author: Steven Monaghan
  INET: MonaghaS_at_mscdirect.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 20 2000 - 12:02:53 CDT